Saturday, January 12, 2013

Slow Cook Chili Verde

Since the weather is getting colder tomorrow, I wanted to share one of my favorite Crockpot recipes with you that will keep you warm for days!!! 

I wanted something to cook in the Crockpot b/c coming home from Crossfit, you are tired and don't want to cook.  I downloaded a book on my Nook (wow...that sounds really cheesy) called "Paleo Slow Cooking" by Chrissy Gower and it has so many recipes in it that will make life so much easier!

This recipe today is a simple and easy to do AND it is ready for you when you get home from a brutal WOD.

Slow Cook Chili Verde

2-4 lbs pork shoulder
2 t salt
10 medium/large tomatillos
2 poblano peppers
2 jalapeno peppers
3 Serrano peppers
4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 cup coconut oil (or EVOO)
1 bunch cilantro
2 cups chicken stock

Cube the pork into one-inch cubes and place them in a bowl,  Sprinkle with salt and set aside.

Remove and discard the husks from the tomatillos, wash them with warm water and cut them in half.

Wash the peppers and place them with the tomatillos and unpeeled garlic on a roasting pan or baking sheet.  Broil on HIGH for 8-9 minutes OR until blackened.  Watch them carefully and turn them halfway through the broiling process.

Sift the coconut flour into a large bowl.  Working in batches, coat the pork shoulder cubes with the coconut flour. 

In a large skillet, warm the coconut oil or EVOO over medium-high heat and brown the pork shoulder cubes and set the meat aside.

Place the blackened peppers aside to cool.  Puree the tomatillos and garlic together then pour the mixture into your Crockpot

Add the browned pork shoulder cubes on top.

Peel the skins off the poblano peppers and remove the seed and stems.  Place them in the food processor.  Cut the stems of the jalapenos and Serrano peppers and add to the food processor.

Add the cilantro and blend altogether.  It should look like a paste.  You might have to add a little chicken stock to get it going. 

Place the paste and chicken stock in the Crockpot, give it a few slight stirs, make sure everything is mixed well.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours!  Enjoy!!



NOTES:
I made this during my lunch hour and it took me about 30 minutes to put it together.  I combined some of the steps to make it quicker and easier. 
What took me the longest is cutting the pork shoulder...I got my workout in that hour!  Trust me!

It was a phenomenal dish!  It was even better the next day at lunch.  I stored it in a large Tupperware container and just heated it up in the microwave and it was delish!!!

Happy Paleo Cooking!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment